The Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery is located South of Lee
Road between Hanson and Howison roads. The cemetery has been
called the Hartman Cemetery and the Lee Lutheran Cemetery. It is
located in the NE NE quarter of Section 7. The outside perimeter
surrounding the cemetery and driveway displays pillars dating the
cemetery in 1889. The grounds of the entire complex is
The land was owned by Christian Hartman and his wife in 1871.
The property was deeded:
"The Grantor Christian Hartman and his wife Friedrika Hartman, John
Smidt and his wife Augusta Smidt of the Town of Squaw Grove in the
County of DeKalb and State of Illinois for and in consideration of Ten
Dollars, in hand paid, Convey and Warrant to the Trustees of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Squaw Grove, DeKalb County the
following described real estate to-wit:
Commencing at the North West corner of the West half of the North East
Quarter of Section Seven Township number Thirty Eight Range Five,
thence running West Three rods, thence running South Sixteen rods,
thence running East Three rods, thence running North Sixteen rods to
the place of beginning containing forty eight Rods.
Also commencing at the North West corner of the East half of the North
East quarter of Section Seven Township Number Thirty Eight Range Five
of all Principal Third 3rd thence running East Seven rods thence
running South Sixteen rods thence running West Seven rods thence
running north Sixteen rods to the place of beginning containing One
Hundred and Twelve Rods.
Situated in the County of DeKalb in the State of Illinois, hereby
releasing and waiving all rights under and by virtue of the Homestead
Exemption Laws of this State.
Dated this Eleventh day of June A.D. 1890, signed, sealed and
delivered in presence of J. K. Kuter.
Christian Hartman, Friedrika Hartman, John Schmidt, Augusta Schmidt
Recorded 22 day of September 1890, Deed book 83, pg. 148."