EAST PIERCE CEMETERY
East Pierce Cemetery is located at the corner of Pritchard and Owens roads in Section 24 Township 39 North Range 5 East. Two driveways allow access to the cemetery and are secured with gates.
Elder Wilcox was the first preacher in the township. The first meeting of the Evangelical Association was held at the Lasher house, about 1849, near the county line. A church building was erected on the Southwest quarter of Section 24 with a parsonage located near the church.
The first meeting of the Lutheran church was held at the school house in District No. 2 and was conducted by Rev. John Andreas of Somonauk.
The original church, east of the cemetery, was destroyed by fire on February 24, 1967. The Board of Missions gave their permission to rebuild on the 2nd of May 1967. Ground breaking was held on August 13, 1967 and the congregation again worshipped at the new church on February 11, 1968.
Of special interest, the steeple bell, which fell into the burning rubble, was recovered at the time of the fire. After rigorous steel brushing, a new cradle was made by a blacksmith and the bell now rests on a new foundation to the east of the church property.
Gottleib Buerer and Henryetta, his wife deeded to the Trustees of the Pierce Town Society of the Evangelical Association of North America and their successors in office for the sum of $30.00 the following described real estate in the Town of Pierce, County of DeKalb and State of Illinois.
A part of the N. W. 1/4 of Section 14 Township 39 Range 5 E beginning at the S. W. corner of said Quarter section running North on section line eleven (11) rods, thence East ten (10) rods, thence South eleven (11) rods, thence West ten (10) rods to place of beginning containing three quarters (3/4) of an acre.
Dated: 11 Dec 1868 Deed Bk. 45 pg 422
The records of this cemetery were copied in the year 1979 by Mr. D. N. Plapp
This page maintained
by Sheryl Dowden and copyrighted 2009 by Sheri Baker. All
Copyright of information presented on this page owned by the Genealogical Society of DeKalb County and reproduced with permission.