Greenwood Cemetery, also known as Squaw Grove Cemetery, is located in the Northwest quarter of Section 22 South of Route 30 in the Village of Hinckley on Somonauk Road and North of Bastian Road. The first cemetery, probably called Squaw Grove Cemetery, was located on the East side of Somonauk Road. The plat map of 1871 shows it on land owned by Philo and Sallie Slater. On the 2nd day of January 1880, Paul and Sarah J. Nichols deeded six and one quarter acres of land on the West side of Somonauk Road to the Board of Directors of the Greenwood Cemetery. Remains were moved to the new cemetery.
Greenwood Cemetery is a beautiful cemetery overlooking the lower grounds from its hill top surroundings. The statue in the center of the cemetery honors the War dead, a fitting memorial. Evergreen trees gently flow in the ever present breeze. There is a long driveway from Somonauk Road to the cemetery grounds enabling the visitor to visualize the grandeur of this well planned cemetery.
Return to DeKalb County ILGenWeb
This page maintained by Sheryl Dowden
and copyrighted 2009 by Sheri Baker. All
Copyright of information presented on this page owned by the Genealogical Society of DeKalb County and reproduced with permission.