Paw Paw Township of Dekalb County, IL.


The East Paw Paw Cemetery is located in Section 7 Township 37 North Range 3 East. The main entrance to the cemetery
is found on the South side of the Chicago road in the SE SW quarter of Paw Paw township. A gravel road divides the
cemetery in the center allowing for travel the full distance of the cemetery from North to South gaining easier access to the
family burial grounds which are East and West of the driveway.

It is apparent that many burials were interred in this cemetery in the early settlement of the township and later to the west
where the Town of Paw Paw was established. Many of the tombstones could not be read because of the erosion from the

“Mr. Jacob Wirick, of the County of DeKalb and the State of Illinois, deeded to Mr. Charles Pierce, President, and Eleazer
D. Lemoin, Treasurer, Robert Hampton, John Hyde and Thomas Marble, Directors of the East Paw Paw Cemetery for the
sum of Thirty Dollars ($30.00) the following parcel of land:

Commencing at the center of Chicago and Dixon road on the line between Jacob Wirick and Vincent Reese on Lot two
Southwest quarter section seven (7) Township 37 North Range three East, running South twenty four rods and ten links,
thence West six rods and one half, thence North twenty four rods and ten links, thence East six rods and one half to the
place of beginning.

Dated 29 January 1864.
Deed Bk. 32 pg 123


Return to DeKalb County ILGenWeb

This page maintained and copyrighted 2009 by Sheri Baker.  All Rights Reserved.
Copyright of information presented on this page owned by the Genealogical Society of DeKalb County and reproduced with permission.